Thursday 19 March 2009

Paper Exhaustion

I have never been more exhausted in my whole academic life than today. Also the main reason why I have been missing from my blog. I apologize, readers.

This was my workload this week (which I have managed to complete and submit). Subject; paper title; description.

Domestic Aspect of American Foreign Policy
"The Reluctant Sheriff: America's Role in a Post-Cold War World"
Thirteen pages of Garamond 11 of why I do not think that the United States is a global hegemon, and is instead, a reluctant sheriff. I had to read so many books for sources. Roughly 3000 words.

International Organizations
The United Nations: January 8, 2009 to March 16, 2009
Twenty-six pages of reviews and reactions about United Nations' related news in this one. Compiling was rather tough; reviewing was tolerable. In the eleven weeks that I have followed the United Nations, I am starting to feel that this international organization business is very complicated, and am sympathizing with them when they are criticized. Heaviest workload.

Triangulating Peace: A Book Review
Eleven pages of review about the book Triangulating Peace. Not only did I have to suffer the long waiting list for the book (the University only had one copy, for roughly 40+ students, and we have strict photostat laws within the campus), reviewing it was really challenging. The only plus point was that I actually liked the book, which made it tolerable. It took roughly eight hours for me to read, and another four to jot notes.

Power in Global Governance: A Book Review
Six pages of review about the book (more of a compilation, actually) Power in Global Governance. I had a HARD time reviewing this book. It was very technical in nature, and comprised of so many contributing authors and theories, that sometimes, I just cannot wrap my head around them. :( I predict a low grade for my review here. Why? I could not finish the last 2/3 of the book. :(

Books I read in the past two weeks:

Russett, B, Oneal, R 2001, Triangulating Peace: Democracy, Interdependence, and International Organizations, Norton and Company, Inc., New York.

Owen, J 1997, Liberal Peace, Liberal War: American Politics and International Security, Cornell University Press, New York.

Frankel, M 2004, High Noon in the Cold War: Kennedy, Khrushchev, and the Cuban Missile Crisis, Presidio Press, New York.

Huntington, S 1996, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order, Simon & Schuster, New York.

Guyatt, N 2003, Another American Century? The United States and the World Since 9/11, Zed Books Limited, London.

Maier, C 2006, Among Empires: American Ascendancy and its Predecessors, Harvard University Press, Massachusetts.

Haass, R 1997, The Reluctant Sheriff: The United States After the Cold War, Council on Foreign Relations, New York.

Huntington, S 1999, ‘The Lonely Superpower’, Foreign Affairs, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 35-49

I favor the Harvard style of citation.

Wish me luck for the three more papers due on Monday. :( No weekend.


Jay~

12 comments:

  1. ah.... the International Studies world ^^,
    strap up! it'll be quite a ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know. This one is a wild rollercoaster. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one cares, Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently, you do. :)
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was here. Hahahahahahahaha. Ugh. School sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do Harvard citation too! This year I've been referencing things so much I can almost do it without referring to my uni library's webpage on "How to cite documents" haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah I feel you! :P

    I can do Harvard, APA, and Chicago by heart now. LOL. And yes, we also have a section about "how to cite sources, references, and documents". :P

    I'd LOVE to read one of your chem-engineering papers. :P Let's trade; you get my foreign policy papers, and I get your molecular chemistry ones. :P

    I miss doing science.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! Ok, will do when I see you on MSN next. Exams in a week =( =( =(

    ReplyDelete