Thursday 1 March 2012

TOMS Shoes - Desert Botas

TOMS International just recently launched their Summer Collection in a press release which I was fortunate enough to be a part of, covering the event for When In Manila. Quite a pleasant surprise after when TOMS gave each of the three bloggers who attended a pair of shoes. Mine was a pair of TOMS Desert Botas.

For every pair you buy, TOMS gives one to a child in need. Truth.

The pair was TOMS take on the classic desert boot, that rugged and versatile footwear used by many military men in desert countries. I was given the dark brown pair.

Aesthetics
From the get-go, the boots (or as TOMS likes to call it, the 'botas') definitely look pretty rugged, albeit with a much thinner sole, giving it a sleek but utilitarian look. It's a simple pair, and it went perfect with a pair of jeans. My favorite detail about it though is the houndstooth detail on the inner lining. I thought that was classy.

Comfort
Since I wore the shoes to work today, I was expecting it to be a tad bit more comfortable than my regular leather shoes. I was wrong; it was WAY more comfortable, to a fault. This pair has a low ride on the heel (unlike most shoes) so it felt weird at first, but after about half an hour, they felt really good. The canvas upper was light and there was no restrictive feeling whatsoever in the toe-box. However, since I wasn't a fan of mid- to high-cut shoes, I had a little bit of discomfort from the edges of the botas rubbing against my ankle. Thankfully - and a great feature, may I add - the edges can be folded down solving the chafing problem in seconds, though this gave the shoes a much more casual look.

Cushioning
I dance and run, and it has become second nature to feel how much support a pair of shoes gave my feet. Even though the TOMS botas had a low ride, they felt well-cushioned enough for a serious amount of wear-time; in fact, they felt very comfortable even after work and walking along Jupiter Street, Makati earlier. The flat sole is something I personally like as well, though I don't suggest stepping on wet tile floors. The tread of this pair isn't designed to handle smooth and slick surfaces.

Oh yeah.

All in all, I love the pair, and they look awesome with your favorite jeans. Good enough for a casual workday or a weekend out, in my opinion. Also, it's interesting to note that TOMS International is serious on social responsibility; in fact, the TOMS One for One program gives a child in need a pair of shoes for every pair that you buy.

For more information on the TOMS Summer Collection Press Release, read my article on When In Manila.

How's that for a bargain.

Check out TOMS website for more items.

No comments:

Post a Comment